Dr. Camilla Bank Friis defended her PhD Thesis entitled Ticket Inspection in Action: Managing Impressions, Status, and Emotions in Contested Everyday Encounters at Københavns Universitet March 17th.
Camilla's key findings include
- Ticket fining events are character contests with behavioral displays that claim or give status.
- Passengers convey an innocent, honest, wronged, defiant, or superior self-presentation type in contested encounters.
- Aggressive passengers typically convey a defiant or superior self-presentation and shift between multiple types during the event.
- The ticket inspectors' confinement of the passenger’s physical space is a key risk factor for victimization.
- The ticket inspectors use emotional displays of dominance and sympathy strategically to avoid escalation and control the course of the event.
- The ticket inspectors perform group-specific enforcement styles focused on either service or justice.
Her thesis is available as an E-book at Academic Books.
Read more at: https://www.sociology.ku.dk/about/Calendar/2022/camilla-bank-friis-defends-her-phd-thesis-at-the-department-of-sociology/